Precedent studies and establishing key objectives
When MaxPoint expanded their data capabilities and product portfolio, an updated pitch tool was the next step to showcase our full suite of offerings to clients.
Our Product Manager kicked off the product development process with a brainstorming session with the UX team to discuss user pain points and product vision. We looked at map-centered data visualization precedents and ideated around how we could better communicate the MaxPoint story, which was a key objective from Sales.
Objective: Illustrate product insights visually to bring industry jargon to life.
We determined several key objectives for moving forward based on business and Sales needs, including:
- Convey a cohesive story, navigable within 20 minutes or less
- Offer powerful insights visually to bring industry jargon to life
- Present complex measurement studies in an easily understandable way
- Contain robust case studies
At the conclusion of our brainstorming session we had a rough plan to marry map visualizations, campaign insight stats, and case studies in one tool.
Digging into the substance of the story
I researched every aspect of our new products. What were their selling points, their common denominators? I mapped the MaxPoint's products and features to better understand our story.
This exercise led to an idea: Rather than start with the “what” of the product, I should start with the underlying “why” of each. The product would showcase every business value and long term insight that MaxPoint’s data offered, and then the user could pitch what product built on those attributes would be best for the client.
The product would showcase every business value and long term insight that MaxPoint's data offered.
This built a foundation for Sales to flexibly pitch whatever product was appropriate for that meeting.
I returned to the whiteboard with a vision.
The story centered around the map and the different scales of place: country, the Digital zip-code (DZ), the store, and then the individual. I specifically focused on the DZ and store levels to provide analytics on user demographic, visitation, and interest data. Once focused on a store or area, the user could use interactive data visualizations of that area to showcase the breadth of data MaxPoint can capture -- and then dive into a specific product case study to specify how we can use our data for the client's needs.
This foundation gave way to a user workflow: A landing page to kick off the pitch, the tool to illustrate the MaxPoint story, and product case studies to bring it home.
Running with the why
My research and product mapping provided a roadmap of the features I wanted to show and previous research with Sales informed the revised workflow. A flexible and cohesive product emerged.
I pitched the product idea to my design team and product manager. With their approval, I completed wireframes and mapped the product for my visual design partner.
Visual Design & Testing
Feedback to final deliverable
My visual design partner and I collaborated on animations and dove into ad campaign insight reports to produce realistic example product content. She produced the final visual designs.
Our user researcher tested our designs with Training and Sales formally. We made adjustments according to feedback and presented to the CEO, COO, and Director of Product.
The product design was well received by users and executives. It effectively visualized our company’s new offerings in an engaging and practical way. Product priorities shifted, dev time was put into other another product, and MaxPoint was ultimately acquired, so these designs have been permanently shelved.
However, this product illustrates my ability to research, ideate, wireframe, test, and prototype while communicating generously with stakeholders, team members, and users. Salespeople still ask for an iteration of the Showcase tool every quarter.